2012 Battle With The Bugs Has Begun

Yes you read it correctly the war has begun and I am taking no prisoners.  Well, scratch that I will take prisoners directly to the nearest lake or river and water-board them to catch someones dinner. I'm talking Walleye, Bass, Catfish! What ever is in the mood for fresh caught slug or grasshopper meat? It is on!!!! [fyi... I really don't like fish either only fishing]
This morning I went out after Neeming the whole garden yesterday and noticed even more damage. Not just damage, but the entire loss of my Ruby Wallace Old Time White Cucumber that I received from Baker Creek Heirloom as part of the Grow It Forward Heirloom Seed Contest. I am so heated right now because what I thought was possibly one last remaining cucumber sprout to "make it" through some kind of bug/ultra sun attack has passed on with its brethren. So I am now debating on either starting again by directly sowing seed in a well guarded and watched pot; or buying something new and already well into the growing process. Another reason I'm so peeved is that during my morning observations I saw that the pole beans have barely been touched. They were sown the same day and time as the red noodle long beans which have been almost totally devoured. I hypothesize that heirloom plants must be tastier to bugs and people than the hybrid plants.  I call myself scaling down the number of plants this year so as not to have a jungle. Well at the rate of bug dinner dates in my garden I may only have a half empty plot. That's what I get for not being as aggressive as I should with the buggers last year. I'm heading out directly to re-up my Sluggo and to pick up my own beer since hubby frowns upon sharing his "good" beer with the slimy critters. Also I am setting grapefruit traps.  Might as well grab a bottle of wine while I'm there to help me get through the loss of all my cucumber plants, most of my newly sown zinnias, all but 2 haogen melons, and the aforementioned red noodle bean plants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mini Green House (1)

Get ready for Chicken Keeping In The City Classes 2022!!!

Fresh Summer Spring Rolls