Catalog Bog?

I have been contemplating for weeks how to start off this new year's blogging. I've thought about talking about the weather, the soups, the stews, the DIY projects I have planned. Ultimately I decided 3.5 seconds ago to talk about the countless seed catalogs that have been finding their way to me for the last several weeks. I am not complaining at all, and I so look forward to reading each of them at least three times before deciding which ones to order from. However, I do have issues with some of the names that are being chosen for the same exact plants. Maybe it's the region or the companies themselves are just trying to make things more interesting.

All I know is that if I want to try something new I'd like to know it's origins and maybe the scientific name would be helpful to include so if a person like myself finds the same plant/seed and it has an alternate name(s) we can be assured of what it is we are trying to grow. Seriously is a Winged Bean a Pea or not? Asparagus bean or Asparagus pea, Goa Bean or Four-Angled Bean they are all (Psophocarpus tetragonolobus) and this will help those of us who get a little perterbed by not knowing what we are really growing and eating. I for one do not want to go to prison for growing the wrong kind of Poppy, and in this world we live in people will just as soon sell you the wrong kind for cash and of course s***s and giggles.

So the moral of this story.... I guess I would say don't let catalogs confuse you. If you are reading this then you can utilize the power of Google to help sort through the multi-named veggies or flowers like I do to be on the safe side. It is important to me to know if I'm getting an heirloom or some hybrid Franken-plant. You can decide for yourself I'm just gabbing off about a little something I noticed.

2012 will be a year of much crisper clearer pictures as I will actually take the time to use my $200 camera that's been collecting dust when not used by my daughter or son. Believe me I am a much better photographer than I've let on to be, but not nearly as good as these darn kids. Put something shiny with buttons in front of them and it's amazing what they come up with. That is pure talent I take no credit for. Just gifts from God I think. Well folks thanks for stopping by I really appreciate it so much.  Happy Planning!

Comments

  1. It's hard work trying to keep it all straight. Over half the time I spend trying to make my list goes into Googling the names. Whew.

    Have fun with your new camera!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that's right. By the time I think of all the tags, check spelling and what not it's kind of you get what you get. lol
    Thanks Amy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Community Garden Day with Fresh Food on 4th

Updated 2023 Chickens In City Class Schedule

Eat your backyard