Mom's pickled okra. Yummy!

I love pickling and now my mom has caught the pickling bug too. Usually I stay away from consuming okra due to the slime factor when cooked. For my birthday the other day I gt a box from mom with some preserved items including, muscadine jelly and pickled okra. It takes a good cook to use okra in a way that doesn't have slime oozing down your throat. My mom can definitely fry up a good batch with crunch but she doesn't live close eough so I can enjoy them fried. Most people I know put it in gumbo or soup. If it's going into any kind of soup... I avoid it like the plague. This is my first time trying okra pickles and I will tell you now I am going to harvest the remaining pods in my garden and brine those bad babies before it is too late. 
I know it's strange to some for a person to grow a plant they would not eat themselves. I would say to you, have you never seen an okra blossom? It is one of the most beautiful flowers in the world. If I could collect a bloom and preserve it for more than a day they'd be all over my house. But alas I can not, and I look forward to next years summer bounty already because just like the movie "There Will Be Blood"; I can guarantee "There Will Be Okra" and subsequently "There will be Okra Pickles!".

Happy Harvesting,
Tina

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Community Garden Day with Fresh Food on 4th

Eat your backyard

Mini Green House (1)