Cold Frames

 I have been researching the construction of cold frames lately and I have to say it seems like a project I should take on this spring after the thaw. Has anyone else been successful at the building and maintainance of a cold frame? I would love to know what your results have been and be even more excited to see pictures of functional cold frames. The conundrum I am in right now is permanent or temporary frame? I would like to increase the height,depth, and width of my smaller border garden and think the addition of a cold frame would both allow me to extend the growing season later into the year, as well as give me a place to harden off and even start seeds earlier in the season. My current winter sowing method seems promising and I will have many pictures posted soon. (most likely today) Please send pics as soon as possible I am getting the gardening itch and it's never to soon to start planning planting.

Comments

  1. I don't have a cold frame, but I've thought about building one. I suggest temporary as that would be simpler and give you some experience so you'll know better when you want to build a permanent one.

    I've seen them built out of hay bales, bricks, wood -- seems like anything you have around that can create somewhat insulated walls will work. Then you just need a sheet of plexiglass or something similar for the top.

    Now you have me thinking about building one this weekend... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right about the temporary frame first. As we warm up and the soil dries I will gather more supplies and try this out. I am limited in strength and think that hay bales will be easier on me than bricks and wood. Plus as the temps rise if I don't have success I can always use the hay for mulch later.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Community Garden Day with Fresh Food on 4th

Eat your backyard

Mini Green House (1)