Let the preserving begin!!!


Who's been a busy bee in the kitchen? I have!!!! So the ground cherries have been making like crazy for over a month now and I had yet to decide what to do with them besides hide the best ones for myself and eat them in a dark corner away from the 8 year old. Then I came up with a thought; why not make a jelly out of them or a pie? Well we saved and saved for a week and a half to get 2 cups of cherries. This took a while because between me, the 8 year old, the chipmunks, and the squirrels we just needed time, and a full stomach before the harvesting could commence properly. That being said, today my cooking partner Ebony and I began concocting a ground cherry plum jam that is so scrumptious I think we will have to beat the other family members off with our wooden spoons. Or we could make more in another week or so, but smacking the hands of those "non" jam makers sounds delightful right now while I'm resting my tootsies and my sore back.  I can't wait to show you all the color of these beautiful jars of jam. I would have called it a jelly, but I didn't have the heart nor the arm strength to strain these beauties to death. Anyway the skin and the little seeds were nummy and not bitter or sour so we left them in for ambiance and texture.  If the jam wasn't enough, I finally got around to making the purple hull jelly, with a few additions to it that made it really pop and zing. I am keeping the recipe secret, and for now we are calling it compost jelly. It is sure to be a real treat, and with such a funny name, I will be happy to serve it with a smile to unsuspecting family and friends. Here are a few pics, Enjoy, and Happy Harvesting.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Community Garden Day with Fresh Food on 4th

Eat your backyard

Updated 2023 Chickens In City Class Schedule