Weeks of Apples and Treats

Despite my earlier protestations, and with much appreciated assistance, I not only planted what turned out to be an overfilled garden, I harvested more than I had intended too. Though what I looked forward to harvesting the most however, were the 28 apples from our 3 y/o Honeycrisp apple tree. Of course I have been counting apples every year since it was planted and I wasn't alone in my exuberance. Think Count Dracula and Sesame Street.... 😁
Well, long story short I won't be sharing any pictures of a 28 apple harvest nor a 2 apple harvest because before I could figure out there was an issue, they were all gone (darn squirrels). Anyone in my position would be fuming and more than annoyed by the total disregard of their hard work and their pie/crumble making plans right? I could have stayed angry at those little biters and even considered practicing my slingshot making skills on them while they were chitting and running about one day. It really took me a few minutes of cursing to push past this disappointment and redirect my thoughts. Deciding later on that it would be in my best interest if I took advantage of the MNGrown catalog and made something good and wholesome out of that furry, gray, toothy mess of a memory. With not much planning but much enthusiasm I had help creating brighter memories by visiting an orchard (Pine Tree in White Bear Lake) which was new to me and my fambam. Additionally, I practiced a little local gleaning of crab apples (they're everywhere), and participating in an applesauce/scrap vinegar class at the very NEW Seward Co-op Friendship store. One could say that I should be Apple'd out but I'm not. Far from it actually,  so far I've eaten fresh apples, used apples to make mincemeat, crabapple vinegar, apple scrap vinegar, apple wine, and apple sauce. The two latter were past of an amazing maiden experience at the newly opened co-ops kitchen classroom. It was a small but effective class facilitated by Gardening Matters. Who provided us with boxes of the tastiest local apples from Fruits Of the City. FOC is an organization that assists so many residents of Minneapolis and St Paul who have amazing produce growing in their yards that without the commitment from this organization and their volunteers would go to rot on the branches or spoil on the ground. Today I have 3 quarts of homemade vinegar on my fridge. My family is requesting cider pancakes for breakfast..... AGAIN! And we still have a bag and a half of apples left to prices from our last orchard trip which will either become spicy apple rings for the holidays, more mincemeat, or will end up as apple pie filling which is the only recipe I haven't gotten to. Who knows, the day is still young! In the interest of time I will be uploading this post with plans to include recipes at a later date. Sometimes life takes over so if you find an urgent desire to try these IM or email are a great way to get a quicker response from me.

Happy Halloween and good luck with your next apple venture.

Tina

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Community Garden Day with Fresh Food on 4th

Eat your backyard

Updated 2023 Chickens In City Class Schedule