Last days at the Market.

Today we came, we saw, and we said good bye to one of many farmers markets closing for the season this weekend. No sooner than arriving did the family and I start pining for, and talking up 2012's market days. Already I can see braving the still cool chilly mornings for hot coffee or cocoa from food trucks like Arepas while on the lookout for asparagus and the first fresh sweet lettuce, spinach and spring onions from local farmers. I may have been nervous about trying ramps before, but after an introduction to them this year part of me now can't wait to snatch up a few bundles to make my own herbed oils, ramp soups, and even a fragrant stir-fry. Like the farmers I met today I am ready to be rid of this years bounty. It was hard work but very much worth it. There are still brussels sprouts, kale, swiss chard and beets in amazing colors to harvest yet. I have got to get busy pickling what's left so I can feed my face in grattitude of this years bounty while flipping through the seed catalogues the hubby calls "gardening bibles" from Bakers Creek and Seed Savers. I've already cracked open a large jar of pickled okra and boy do I wish I had a 1/4 bushel right now so I could stock up more. Now that I think of it, pickled okra and ramps would probably be great together if they grew around the same timeline..... Gosh, there I go again day dreaming of far off days. But as I close the chapter on this years gardening adventure I hope I was able to get someone out there dreaming,planning, discussing, or even fussing about where their food comes from. Whether in your own backyard like me, at a community garden, at an urban farm, or even at a rural or hobby farm, growing your own food or supporting locally grown products is important not only for sustainability, but also for creating and supporting stronger bonds in our communities. 

With all that said, Happy Harvesting!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Community Garden Day with Fresh Food on 4th

Updated 2023 Chickens In City Class Schedule

Eat your backyard