Grow A Relationship

I was reading an article in the local paper about how many people are planning their garden for the first time in our area and around the country. I think that people garden for so many reasons and it's not always about being strapped for cash and needing food to eat. For me gardening has been a way for me to become more mobile, bridge the generation gaps between me and older adults in my family, and a way to meet so many fascinating people from all walks of life. I hope this small blurb about my interest in gardening will make you think deeply about why you garden and how important it is to pass on this valuable knowledge to future gardeners big and small.

When we moved into our home 3 years ago I knew I would be digging into the unknown soil and cultivating something edible if only a cucumber or tomato. Now I'm cultivating relationships with all the neighbors on my block as well as beautiful and tasty heirloom flowers & vegetables. Our first growing season our family had success with one plot. I met a man at the liquor store who's girlfriend was separating rasberries and since things went reasonably well we extended the garden to two plots. Last year it doubled to four because we added a children's vegetable garden with bean tepee and another small vegetable garden plot. After seeing my family so busy in the outdoors my neighbors showed interest and started their own gardens. Now we gather around to see who's planting what and discussing techniques we think will work to keep birds or our frisky dogs out of the garden. Gardening is helping us become closer neighbors and bridging gaps. In the garden it doesn't matter how old you are, what color you are, if you're a beginner or a master. We all get along and we support each other in our efforts. I can't wait to see what the girls are growing this year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Community Garden Day with Fresh Food on 4th

Eat your backyard

Updated 2023 Chickens In City Class Schedule